Monday 8 February 2010

Stung by computerised stock control!

I was down in London at the weekend seeing friends and was staying in a Holiday Inn. Passing the morning away on the Saturday before I went out, I had a look at the price list for the room's mini bar. Needless to say, I was absolutely shocked at the mark-up on the different drinks and snacks and thought it would be a good idea to take some pictures to show my various Business Management classes as we work our way through the Marketing units.

So I took out some Pringles, Coca-Cola, some white wine, red wine, a small bottle of Courvioisier Cognac and proceeded to take some shots. I didn't have a clue (though the heading at the top of the price list should have given it away) that the fridge used a computerised system whereby everytime you took a product out of the fridge, it would charge it to your room bill. Even if you put it back!!

When I went to settle my bill on Sunday, it was with some embarrassment that I had to explain that I had not in fact drunk or eaten anything from the bar, but had in fact been taking photographs to show my pupils about pricing methods back in Scotland. They didn't charge me!

No comments: